Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Rain, upcoming events and my $.02 on the Maxxis Ardent

The weather here has been monsoon like to say the least. June featured 24 days of rain, some of it quite heavy. July has been trying to catch up. We were lucky with the Festival, a week of dry weather that held on until the very last day of the event. Then it stayed rainy.
This last week we had 12" of rain!
Needless to say, the riding here is quite poor. Even Perry Hill has succumbed to the relentless rain. The lower trails, which are still quite fun by most standards, typically stay pretty dry due to the sandy nature of the soil, but now have some really nasty spots of standing water. Everything up high is closed. Slippery rocks and ledgy terrain is not so much fun when the ground is this wet, not to mention downright unsafe.

The Pittsfield 666 Race has been postponed until August 23rd and 24th due to the soggy nature of the ground. We were to be providing neutral tech support during the race.

There is a Fisher demo event at Catamount this Wednesday. If you haven't had an opportunity to check out a Hi Fi or Suprfly, this is your lucky day. You will be able to try out these fine bikes on real mountain bike trails.

Fool's Gold is August 16th and 17th, and DA and I will be there for the Bike 29 Gathering of the South East. This should be a fun event, not only is it a 50/100 mile race, but a festival too. We will be handing out prizes for "blingiest","lightest", "ugliest", and "most creative set up" for anyone attending who is lucky enough to be riding a 29er. A road trip is always fun, and we'll be swinging through Asheville NC on our way down to check out the magic that Industry 9 makes.


Now, you have read Mandy's review on the Maxxis Ardent. We have very different riding styles and very different tastes when it comes to tires. Mandy is more deliberate in her riding than I am, she picks lines and sticks to them, where I tend to have a severe case of Trail ADD. The faster I go, the more likely I am to change my line at any given time. Sometimes it works to my advantage, other times I get into trouble. The only things that can make or break my poor riding choices are my tires. What works for Mandy doesn't always work for me, and vice-a-versa. I like the Nevegal, she does not. She likes the IRD Fire XC Pro, I do not, etc etc.


Well, I think we may have found a tire we both like. I have had the Ardent on my RIP9 since the beginning of July, and have had the pleasure of learning this tire's traits in less than stellar riding conditions. And because Mandy instantly liked this tire, I felt compelled to find something wrong with it. I have a hard time with trusting new tires, especially ones that roll fast. The Ardent is an incredibly fast rolling tire. It has decent volume, and weighs in the low 700g range. It also has good cornering knobs, which I have learned to trust a little more each time I ride.


That spectre of doubt hung on for dear life though. I kept threatening to switch my tires back to the trusty Nevegal, but never did. And finally, last night, we had a great ride on the lower Perry Hill trails that permanently changed my opinion of these tires.


First of all, there is no tire out there that is good on mud, wet rocks and roots. They all slide, some more than others. The Ardent is a tire that slides very little on off camber rooty climbs, even it those roots are wet. On descents they are fast, and provide enough cornering grip to install superhero like confidence in high speed turns.


Maybe part of it is that I finally accepted the awful trail conditions. I like to think that the tires have proven themselves. And for a tire to do well in these conditions, they must be alright.
They get to stay on my bike.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger jason said...

Sunday.
Old Spokes Home and Bike29 group ride? Noonish? Perry hill?

shoot me an e-mail

8:12 PM  
Blogger mandy said...

I have to check with my social coordinator, but it is possible...

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home