Wednesday, July 23, 2008

RIP9, The Next Generation

Or more accurately, the second generation.
I couldn't keep going on without a RIP9 in my stable, it is that good of a bike. Blue had to move on, so I looked at this as an opportunity to see if I could still have a bike that exuded the same sort of confidence, without the weight.

I'm now riding an 07 RIP, the frame with the seat gusset. I pulled most of the components off of Kermit, mango Royale wheels with Stan's Arch rims. The Joplin post came with me from the old RIP, providing just enough "what the hell have I done" to make me not like the new bike right away. The fork is the new 120mm Fox F-29, and the stoppers are the same Juicy Ultimates that hauled my big ass down to speed on the VT50.


My very first ride on the bike was not that good. I had spent two hours prior finishing the build, and my first ride was plagued with a nasty bunch of gremlins. These gremlins messed up my suspension settings, stretched my cables, and worst of all, unseated my new Maxxis Ardent front tire. After installing a tube up front, and fiddling with the barrel adjusters, I finished my hurkey-jerky first ride.
I would almost equate this new bike to a newborn foal. It felt awfully spindly and unsure compared to 'Ole Blue.

As I ride the bike more though, that tentativeness dissolves.
My last few rides have been a lot of fun. The new bike weighs 29.49lbs with pedals, dirt and my signature carbon bottle cage. I know that this bike is capable of the same sort of malarkey that Blue was, except that it is a different kind of horsie. Blue was a bruiser, this new silver stallion requires a bit more finesse. This new lighter weight RIP is quicker, climbs faster, and only beats me up half as much. Provided I'm paying attention. You could get away with just about anything on Blue, but with this bike, you really have to commit.

Unfortunately, we seem to be experiencing some sort of a monsoon. This last week has been terribly rainy, and all of our local trails are closed.
I hope to be able to get out in the woods again soon, but it has rained non stop all day, and shows no sign of stopping for the next few days.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home